Sunny · 70°

Driver's License


Driver's license services are available by APPOINTMENT ONLY
This includes renewals, replacements, state-issued ID's, address changes, all testing, Real ID's, etc. 


View hours and testing information for driver's licenses.

The following topics are covered in this section:

Hours & Locations 

* Services & Testing

* CDL Information

* Real ID Requirements

* Address Changes

* New to Iowa?

* Concerned about a loved one's safety while driving?



Hours & Locations

Renew your license 30 days before or 60 days after your birthday. If your license has been expired for over one year, full testing (computer and skills) are required.


Renewals |  8:00 am – 4:00 pm (last appt. at 3:45 pm)
Computer Test | 8:00 am – 3:00 for CDL testing or 3:30 pm for permit testing
Skills Driving Test | by appointment only on Tuesday mornings
    - Skills tests can be scheduled after passing the computer exam
    - No motorcycles or CDL skills testing in Marion County.  You may Contact a state DOT station to find a motorcycle or CDL testing location.

Book an Appointment


Renewals | 9:00 am – 4:00 pm (last appt. at 3:45 pm) on Wednesdays only at the Pella Community Center, Room 200 (712 Union Street)
Computer Test | 9:00 am – 3:00 pm on Wednesdays only
Driving Skills Test | No driving tests in Pella

*** The Pella location does not have a phone.  Please call the Knoxville location for questions ***

Book an Appointment

Services & Testing

Permit Test Requirements

  • Certified birth certificate,
  • Social security card (or completed affidavit by the parent with the minors social security number), 
  • Address verification:
    • Must show 2 items, 
    • This can include any of the following: student report card or other correspondence showing name & address, birthday card, bank statement, paystub, or any other piece of mail. 
      • If you can only find one, we may use one from the the minors parents name (as long as the address is the same).
  • A parent or legal guardian must be present at the appointment or this Parent Consent Form (Iowa DOT Form 430018) must be completed prior to the appointment.

* We offering computer tests starting at 8:15 a.m. and the last test of the day must start by 3:30 p.m. 

Most school in Marion County offer permit testing through the school system.  If you wish to take the test through your school, inquire further with the school administration.  Once the student passes the test at the school, all the above listed documentation is still required to be issued the permit.  

School Permit Requirements

Intermediate License 

  • Must be at least 16 years old, 
  • Completed and passed Driver's Education, 
  • 1 complete year, 365 days, of having a permit with no accidents or citations,
  • A parent or legal guardian must be present at the appointment or this Parent Consent Form (Iowa DOT Form 430018) must be completed prior to the appointment.
  • Please bring in your current license or know your social security number to your appointment.


Renewals are $4 per year for basic renewals. Motorcycle endorsements are an additional $2 per year.

  • Renewal Requirements
    • 8-year renewals | 18 to 72-year-olds
    • 7-year renewals | 73-year-olds
    • 6-year renewals | 74-year-olds
    • 5-year renewals | 75-year-olds
    • 4-year renewals | 76-year-olds
    • 3-year renewals | 77-year-olds
    • 2-year renewals | 78-year-olds and older
  • Please bring in your current license or know your social security number to your appointment.


All drivers, regardless of age, must take and pass drivers education or drive with an examinor to obtain a license.  

More information on drivers education can be found here:

For a map showing approved local drivers education instructors:

Skills Drive Testing

All skills drive tests must be scheduled by the staff.  Marion County offers skills drive tests by appointment only on Tuesday mornings. 

If your drivers license has been expired for over one year, FULL testing (written and skills) tests are required. 

Also, all parent taught drivers education students must take the skills drive test.    


Bring your social security card or number to prove your identity at your appointment.  The cost to obtain a duplicate drivers license or identitication card is $10.

Identification Cards

  • In Iowa, you can have an ID card or a driver's license; you are not allowed to have both. 
  • Iowa non-operator's ID cards will be issued with an expiration date of eight years.
  • If you are being issued an Iowa ID without having ever having been issued before, you are required to bring all the docuemnts for the Real ID.  


Payment Options

  • Cash
  • Checks made out to Treasurer, State of Iowa
  • Debit/credit cards for an additional $1.50

Commercial Drivers Licence (CDL)

CDLs are $8 per year. If you have the hazmat endorsement, testing is required at renewal time. Every five years, fingerprints and background checks are required as well. More information can be found on the Iowa DOT website.

If you have a CDL you must certify if you are interstate or intrastate. Intrastate includes using your CDL only within the state of Iowa while interstate is using your CDL while outside of the state of Iowa. If you certify as interstate you will need the following:

Failure to comply within the required timeline will result in a downgrade of your CDL. 

NEW:  The Iowa DOT made significant changes to the issuance of commerical drivers licenses starting February 7, 2022.  To gather information about the new requirements in getting a CDL in the state of Iowa, visit the Iowa DOT page:

To determine if you are required to complete entry-level driver training see the ELDT Applicability Fact Sheet.

* We offering CDL computer tests starting at 8:15 a.m. and due to the length of the CDL test(s), the last test appointment will start at 3:15 p.m.  

Reminder! CDL holders must bring in their birth certificate, passport or INS document to renew if they don’t have a Real ID.

REAL ID Requirements

  • Deadline: May 7, 2025
  • You will need a Real ID (gold star on your license) to fly domestically or gain access to a federal building after this deadline.  To fly outside of the United States, you will still need to carry a valid passport.  
  • Typical documents needed (you will need all three):
    • Identity
      • Birth certificate or valid passport
    • Social security
      • Card or 1099/W-2 with full number listed on document
    • Residency
      • Two pieces of mail
    • You may also need proof of legal name change, if applicable
  • $10 if not at renewal time


Iowa DOT REAL ID Info    View REAL ID flyer


Address Change

If you are an Iowa resident and have moved to a new residence, the cost to update the address shown on your drivers license or identification card is $10.  Make an appointment above and at the appointment you can verbally give us your new address (mail is not required).

If you have moved to Iowa from another state or country, please see the section "New to Iowa" for more information about the requirements to be issued in Iowa.  You can also inquire more with the Iowa DOT website for more information.


New to Iowa?

Learn how to get an Iowa driver's license:

  • If you have the REAL ID in the state you’re moving from, you will need to bring:
    • Proof of identity (passport, birth certificate, INS documents)
    • Proof of social security (social security card, anything listing your full social security number or social security number affidavit for driver's license or identification card services)
    • Proof of residency x 2 (2 pieces of mail)
  • If you do not have the REAL ID on your out of-state-license, you will need to bring:
    • Proof of identity (passport, birth certificate, INS documents)
    • Proof of social security (social security card, anything listing your full social security number or social security number affidavit for driver's license or identification card services
    • Proof of residency x 2 (2 pieces of mail)
    • If your legal name has changed, you will need to bring in your certified legal name change documents (i.e. certified marriage certificate, divorce decree, etc.).

* Please note, if you plan on transferring your drivers license and motor vehicle records, you will need two appointments; one with drivers license and one with motor vehicle title transfers.  


Iowa Department of Transportation

For questions regarding your drivers license or driving record information, please call the Iowa DOT at (515) 244-8725. You also have the option to go to the Iowa DOT website to chat or email. 


Certified Driving Records

To obtain a copy of your certified driving record, please visit the Iowa DOT website at:


Concerned about a loved one's safety while driving?

Please check out the Iowa DOT's resources on aging and safe driving:


For more information about drivers licensing, please check out our frequently asked questions section. 

Driver's License FAQ

For additional forms, please check out the online forms. 

View More Forms

Office email: [email protected]


Back · Marion County Treasurer